Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Holy Matrimony

Last weekend I went to a wedding in Orange County. It was held at a golf course and was absolutely beautiful - so in no way is this post intended to be a negative reflection of the wedding I just went to. Again, it was beautiful and the bride and groom left the wedding via white horse and light-up carriage a la Cinderella. I mean, come on. Seriously don't think anything could be cooler. (Minus that the horse was riding them around super fast and I had just watched "When Good Animals Go Bad" on TV that afternoon, and was therefore sure the happy couple would get thrown off at full speed...luckily that did not happen).

Back to my point (though I technically haven't made one yet). There are so many parts of a wedding that I feel extremely awkward during and/or think are really lame, and they are the following:

1. Waiting for the ceremony to begin.

2. The first dance as a married couple.

3. The couple walking around the tables as people are eating to say hello to their guests.

4. The couple announcing the cake cutting. (this particular wedding didn't do that and it was fabulous)

5. The "all the women to the dance floor" call...

And there are some things that I absolutely love (and they are as follows):

1. The walk back down the aisle after they are officially married.

2. The best man/maid of honor/father of the bride speeches.

3. The last dance.

4. The champagne (and the open bar, of course).

5. The YMCA (which was nonexistent at this wedding as well...due to their "no list" that they gave the DJ).


And the why:

1. I hate waiting for the ceremony because once you are seated there is absolutely no turning back. You can't get up to use the restroom or to make a phone call because the wedding could start at any minute...and laughing at that point is basically out of the question entirely.

2. I feel uncomfortable during the couple's first dance because I don't want people staring at me while I'm in love with my husband (hypothetically speaking, of course)

3. I know you don't want to talk to me - stop pretending you do. Also, I don't want to feel obligated to do so at my own wedding. (again, hypothetically cause I'm not engaged).

4. No one wants to watch you feed cake to each other. Honestly. Who thought of this? And why is it now a tradition?

5. Maybe I don't feel like dancing - that's why I wasn't on the dance floor already. And they always say it like "the bride wants all the ladies on the dance floor..." no she doesn't. She wants her best friends and like her mom and aunts but not everyone...let's get real.

And why I love these things:

They are real, honest and don't feel forced. They are from the heart. Now, all together let's say ahhhhhhhh......

No comments: